Psychographic segmentation is a marketing strategy that involves dividing a target audience into smaller groups based on their shared psychological characteristics and traits. This type of segmentation can be a powerful tool for marketers, as it allows them to tailor their messaging and approach to better resonate with each individual group.
The 5 Key Variables of Psychographic Segmentation
The variables involved in psychographic segmentation include:
- Lifestyle: This variable refers to the way a person lives their life, including their daily habits, routines, and interests. Marketers can use lifestyle data to understand what motivates a person, what they value, and what they are looking for in a product or service.
- Personality: This variable refers to a person's characteristic patterns of thought, emotion, and behavior. Marketers can use personality data to understand how a person responds to different stimuli, what their emotional triggers are, and how they make decisions.
- Interests: This variable refers to the things that a person enjoys doing, learning about, or engaging with. Marketers can use interest data to understand what a person is passionate about, what they are interested in, and what they want to learn more about.
- Opinions: This variable refers to a person's beliefs, attitudes, and values. Marketers can use opinion data to understand what a person cares about, what they are concerned about, and what they want to change.
- Behaviours: This variable refers to the actions that a person takes, either in response to a specific stimulus or as part of their everyday routine. Marketers can use behavior data to understand what a person does, how they do it, and why they do it.
By analysing these variables, marketers can gain a deep understanding of their target audience and develop strategies that are tailored to their unique needs and preferences. This can help to increase engagement, build brand loyalty, and drive sales.
Example of Psychographic Segmentation in E-Commerce
For example, a sports apparel company may use psychographic segmentation to target their marketing efforts. By analyzing the lifestyle, personality, interests, opinions, and behaviors of their target audience, the company may discover that there are three distinct groups within their audience:
- The fitness enthusiasts: This group is highly active, with a strong interest in health and wellness. They value high-quality, performance-based products and are willing to pay a premium for them.
- The fashion-conscious: This group is less interested in performance, but cares deeply about style and trendiness. They value products that are fashionable and make a statement.
- The value-seekers: This group is primarily focused on finding the best deal. They are less concerned with performance or fashion and are more likely to choose products based on price.
By understanding these different groups within their audience, the sports apparel company can develop tailored e-commerce marketing strategies to target each group effectively. For the fitness enthusiasts, they may focus on highlighting the performance features of their products and partnering with fitness influencers to showcase them in action. For the fashion-conscious, they may focus on showcasing their products in fashionable settings and highlighting their latest styles and trends. And for the value-seekers, they may focus on offering special deals and promotions to entice them to purchase. By tailoring their approach to each group, the company can increase their chances of engaging with their audience and driving sales.
In conclusion, psychographic segmentation is a powerful marketing strategy that allows marketers to better understand their target audience and develop tailored approaches that resonate with each individual group. By analysing the variables of lifestyle, personality, interests, opinions, and behaviours, marketers can gain a deep understanding of their audience and develop effective strategies for engaging with them.
Does your business require extra resources going into 2023? Book in a free Strategy Call!